Re: [2.6.19-rc3-mm1] BUG at arch/i386/mm/pageattr.c:165

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 23:03:51 -0800
Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:10:46PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > Sure.
> > >
> > > I've just found out that unsetting CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED makes the
> > > crash go away. I can hack around the resulting udev incompatibility.
> > >
> > > #
> > > # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
> > > # Linux kernel version: 2.6.19-rc3-mm1
> > > # Mon Oct 30 19:31:03 2006
> >
> > Well I tried to reproduce this, but I got such a psychedelic cornucopia of
> > oopses at various bisection points amongst those sysfs patches that I think
> > I'll just give up.
> >
> > Greg, Kay: it's quite ugly.  I'll drop all those patches for now, and I
> > suggest you do so too.  Have a play with the .config which Andrew sent..
>
> No, please don't drop them.  We have tested these out on a lot of
> different boxes.  So far everyone's problems have either been due to
> something else in -mm (acpi patches), or because they did not read the
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED Kconfig help text.

Does acpi cause the change_page_attr oopses?

What caused the several different oopses which I got with Andrew's config?
They were all inside the gregkh-driver-* series.  (That test machine is
running FC1, which doesn't run udev at all.  Its BIOS is acpi-free).

Here's one: http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/s5000364.jpg

I didn't grab the others.

> I have yet to see any real problems with these patches, except for your
> build issue with the bonding drivers, which I'm fixing up right now.

Tried Andrew's .config?

> So please leave them in, we did rework them a lot from the last round,
> _and_ these patches are shipping successfully in the OpenSuSE 10.2 alpha
> and beta release with no reported problems.  So they are not as ugly as
> you imagine them to be :)

I can tell an enormous string of oopses when I see one ;)

I'm dropping acpi and gregkh-driver-* and am rushing rc4-mm1.  Other
people's stuff needs to get tested.