Re: loading EHCI_HCD slows down IDE disk performance by 50%

On 10/30/06, Lee Revell <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 20:52 +0100, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
> On 10/29/06, Lee Revell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 19:13 +0100, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
> > > Any hints/tips about what to try with this issue will be
> > >  of course very welcome.
> >
> > git bisect
>
> As I clarified to Lee in private email, this method doesn't
>  seem to apply in this situation, as the problem appeared
>  when I selected CONFIG_EHCI_HCD in my build due to the
>  purchase of the USB2.0 disk, back in the 2.6.16-rc cycle;
>  so if the combination of high performance IDE + EHCI_HCD
>  ever existed, it must be earlier than 2.6.16-rc5-git8.
>
> Lacking any input I'll try to find out more in the next week
>  by starting out at 2.6.10 and eventually earlier.

Maybe you could close the Bugzilla ticket you posted, as most of the
comments relate to HAL and polling for media changes which you seem to
be saying have nothing to do with this bug?

The bugzilla entry was hijacked by people who were incorrectly
thinking their problem had to do with my report, I myself have
always stated HAL/polling had nothing to do with the issue. Not
my fault, there...

I may of course re-file the bug, but it'd be nice if I were asked
by someone looking after the Fedora bugzilla; as a matter of
fact I did ask for opinions there after my last findings.

--alessandro

"...when I get it, I _get_ it"

    (Lara Eidemiller)