Re: 2.6.19-rc3 system freezes when ripping with cdparanoia at ioctl(SG_IO)

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 08:20:17PM +0100, Gregor Jasny wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today I tried the new cdparanoia from Debian Sid (3.10+debian~pre0-2).
>> When I started ripping with "cdparanoia -d /dev/scd0 1" my system
>> freezes after some seconds. There is no oops and even the console
>> cursor stops blinking.
>>
>> If I start cdparanoia with -g /dev/scd0 it starts ripping and but the
>> kernel prints many "program cdparanoia not setting count and/or
>> reply_len properly" warnings. But this seems to be a cdparanoia bug.
>>
>> My CDROM:
>> Vendor:                    PIONEER
>> Product:                   DVD-ROM DVD-106
>> Revision level:            1.22
>>

>  I'm guessing this is really an IDE drive ?  If so, I suspect the
> problem is in scsi emulation (which doesn't deny that the bug might
> be at least partly in the application, although hanging the box is
> nasty).
>
>  Specifically, I've just compiled that version with the debian patch
> on my (non-debian) amd64 and successfully ripped a CD (without any
> log messages) on both 2.6.18 and 2.6.19-rc3 using /dev/hdc.
>
>  So, if this isn't a real SCSI drive, as a work-around you could try
> disabling ide-scsi and use the IDE device name.

I don't think it is ide-scsi related at all. I would rather think about
libata and/or SATA drivers (I am not sure how to call those IDE drives
that appear as SATA devices...). As shown in the Debian bug report that
Gregor cited[1], the problem has been observed on various machines with
the ata_piix SATA driver (with 2.6.16, .17, .18 and .19-rc kernels).

Brice