Re: removing drivers and ISA support? [Was: Char: correct pci_get_device

Kilau, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> Alan Cox:
> > I think some of the drivers like epca we should seriously consider
> > dropping and seeing if there is any complaint, my guess will be not.
>
> You sure won't have any compliants from Digi International about removing
> the epca driver from the kernel tree.

> That driver is *ancient* and I suspect no one actually uses it.
> (I am not sure its even useable in the current form in the kernel tree)
>
> We (Digi) have a much newer "PCI-only, rewritten for 2.6.x" open source
> version of the driver called "dgap" that all our customers use now
> instead.

Have you proposed it for inclusion in the official tree? Many distros today
don't ship drivers that aren't in the oficial tree, so you are needlessly
limiting your customer base (plus adding hassle for them, plus you have to
track kernel changes yourself). Not a winning proposition, IMHO.

Thanks for your support of Linux!