Re: incorrect taint of ndiswrapper

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 01:36:41AM +0200, Sven-Haegar Koch wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 06:29:53PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> >>Anyway, I don't think it's relevant to ndiswrapper.
> >
> >All non-GPL'ed modules are in a grey area, and the question isn't
> >whether it's black or white but how light or dark the grey is...
>
> ndiswrapper is GPL, but is (with the current code) not allowed to use the
> gpl-only'ed symbols.

ndiswrapper is mostly a compatility layer for linking non-GPL'ed code
into the kernel.

This is really a grey area, and the legal status might depend on the
jurisdiction and the judge.

Considering the vivid "cease and desist" business in Germany, I wouldn't
be surprised if some day someone would start sending "cease and desist"
letters against mirrors in Germany distributing code in this grey
area...

> c'ya
> sven

cu