Re: rename() contention (BUG?)

Josef Sipek wrote:
On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 03:56:34PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
Hello,

I have seen some scalability problems with Maildir-based mail systems running on
Linux (debian sarge, 2.6.8), and after much investigation I found a large part
of the problem was rename() contention.
Just FYI, around 2.6.15 the i_sem was replace with i_mutex which is much
better/faster. (And I would strongly suggest you upgrade.) I would actually
like to know how much the lock contention decresed for your case.

The changes make the mutex more efficient, but won't decrease the contention. It seems that all renames in one filesystem are serialized, and if the renames require I/O (which is certainly the case with nfs), rename throughput is severely limited.