Re: What about make mergeconfig ?

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> That does not properly deal with "# CONFIG_XYZ is not set" lines in
> >> other.config.
> >
> >What about RCS merge?
>
> I take it we do not want to depend on too many tools (remember the
> kconfig implementation language debate).

If you have CVS installed, you have RCS merge.

> >merge -p other.config .config.old .config > other.config.new
>
> This also does not seem conflict-safe.

Indeed, you can still have conflicts, which you have to resolve manually.

But it depends on what you want to achieve: do you want to set each config
option in the destination config to max(config1.option, config2.option), or do
you want to apply the recent changes for one config (which may include
disabling options) to another config?

For the latter, merge should work fine.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

							    -- Linus Torvalds