Re: PROBLEM: Oops when doing disk heavy disk I/O

Michael wrote:
From: Ray Lee [mailto:[email protected]] Try swapping out the RAM (or getting it down to 1Gig). Try a really
old kernel, such as debian's 2.6.8 package.

[...]
Although, having said that, I'm curious... It is working because there's
only 1 gig of RAM in there, or because it's only a single stick (ie. not
dual-channel)? It works fine with both sticks, individually, just not both
together... I wonder what the cause of it actually is...

Another thing that I would try is to tweak the /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio and /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio settings.

pdflush appears in your trace and with twice the RAM there is twice the dirty data to write out. Maybe choosing half the ratio in both settings with 2Gb of RAM would produce the same amount of dirty data as using just 1Gb of RAM with the original settings.

This is still a bug, though. This test would just give more debug information.

--
Paulo "grasping at straws" Marques - www.grupopie.com

"The face of a child can say it all, especially the
mouth part of the face."