Re: SATA CD/DVDRW Support in 2.6.18?

Andrew Lyon wrote:
Hi,

I have a Samsung SH-W163A SATA CD/DVDRW connected to jmicron
20360/20363 onboard sata controller, running kernel 2.6.18 with sr_mod
loaded I can mount recorded/original disks and read them, but if I try
to burn a cd or dvd using cdrecord, and somtimes when mounting media I
get loads of errors in dmesg and the burn fails:

Not having any SATA CD burners, I can only go by my experience using USB and Firewire burners, which also appear to be SCSI. They work fine using the device name rather than playing with the ATA or ATAPI stuff. And if you're using ProDVD I suggest you download the latest cdrecord from the usual site and build that, DVD support is now in the cdrecord source, as it is in most distributions.

I use multiple PATA and USB burners on several systems, and haven't had problems. I actually do have SCSI devices, they have always worked and continue to (slowly) do so.

If you post again after trying the current source, please include the command used as well as the output from the log. By using the latest you at least MIGHT get some help from the author, instead of the usual "don't bother me with obsolete versions" reply.

ata2.00: speed down requested but no transfer mode left
ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata2.00: (irq_stat 0x48000000, interface fatal error)
ata2.00: tag 0 cmd 0xa0 Emask 0x50 stat 0x51 err 0x30 (ATA bus error)
ata2: soft resetting port
ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata2.00: configured for PIO0
ata2: EH complete
ata2.00: speed down requested but no transfer mode left
ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata2.00: (irq_stat 0x48000000, interface fatal error)
ata2.00: tag 0 cmd 0xa0 Emask 0x50 stat 0x51 err 0x30 (ATA bus error)
ata2: soft resetting port
ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata2.00: configured for PIO0
ata2: EH complete
ata2.00: speed down requested but no transfer mode left
ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata2.00: (irq_stat 0x48000000, interface fatal error)

It looks like the interface is trying to run at 1.5Gbps which is
obviously too fast for this drive, is there any way to set the
interface speed ? I have a WD Raptor on the other sata port of the
jmicron and that works perfectly (as long as NCQ is disabled - drive
firmware bug).

What is the status of sata cd/dvdrw support? It is getting hard to buy
machines with IDE writers, most of our workstations are dell and have
only sata devices, we have similar problems with those.

Andy

I've done some more testing, I do not get the errors above when
reading a cd or dvd, only when I try to record using cdrecord (or
other apps) using ATAPI, here is some info from cdrecord:

cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 -checkdrive
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2006 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: 'ATAPI:0,0,0'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'TSSTcorp'
Identifikation : 'CD/DVDW SH-W163A'
Revision       : 'TS01'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-2 DVD-R/DVD-RW driver (mmc_dvd).
Driver flags   : DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO

Are these codes: Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen , from
the kernel? or from the sata chip? if they are from the chip does
anybody know where I might find datasheets for  JMicron 20360/20363
AHCI Controller (rev 02) ? perhaps I might find a clue there..

Read speeds seem ok, 15MB/sec from a original dvd.

andy

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>
  Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a