Re: 3.2GHz cpus with cpufreq become 2.8GHz

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Wes Felter wrote:

Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:

Hm... speedstep-centrino on Xeon? AFAIK speedstep-centrino requires "est" and /proc/cpuinfo does not mention this flag: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr

Odd; I have a similar processor and it has est and uses the speedstep-centrino driver. But I am using an old kernel (2.6.5) and the flag detection has changed since then.

Anyway, I have just tested speedstep-centrino, but it does not work.

BTW: what wrong is with p4-clockmod? I was not able to find any information that it is broken and should not be used?

It makes the processor slower but only reduces power consumption slightly, making the processor less power-efficient. You probably don't want your processor to be less efficient.

I also tested ACPI Processor P-States driver (X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ), but it does not work either.

Any other ideas?

Best regards,

				Krzysztof Olędzki