Re: Ordering hotplug scripts vs. udev device node creation

On Saturday 21 October 2006 18:21, Aaron Cohen wrote:
> Hope this is a reasonable list to post this to.
>
> I'm trying to modify the gpsd hotplug script to work better with my
> udev setup.  My USB serial devices are added to /dev/tts/USBx by udev
> and the default script assumes they are /dev/ttyUSBx.
>
> In any event, my hotplug script uses udevinfo to figure out the device
> file to use.  The problem seems to be though that my hotplug script is
> getting run before udev has actually created the device node.  Is
> there some ordering mechanism I'm missing that would help me out here?

Some distros have gotten rid of hotplug altogether and now use udev entirely
for handling plugging events (udevd). It seems like what you could do here
was write a simple udev rule to symlink the device when it's created.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.