Re: 3Ware delayed device mounting errors with newer 9500 series adapters

Jeff,

Can you reproduce with 2.6.18.1?  ES4 contains a custom 3ware driver.

Also, you have included no error output with this email whatsoever.  Can
you go to a virtual console during your ES4 install, run 'dmesg', and see if
the errors are in there, or if they are a part of the ES4 anaconda installer?

/dev/sdb, etc. having delayed appearances sounds like it is udev related.

Are you running the latest firmware?  Do your controllers older than 60 days
have different firmware?

I will try to reproduce this.

-Adam

On 10/21/06, Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:03:10 -0600
"Jeffrey V. Merkey" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Adam,
>
> We have been getting 3Ware 9500 series adapters in the past 60 days
> which exhibit a delayed behavior during mounting of FS from
> /etc/fstab.   The adapters older than this do not exhibit this behavior.
>
> During bootup, if the driver is compiled as a module rather than in
> kernel, mount points such as /var in fstab fail to detect the devices
> until the system fully boots, at which point the /dev/sdb etc. devices
> showup.  It happens on both ATA cabled drives and drives
> cabled with multi-lane controller backplanes.
>
> The problem is easy to reproduce.  Install ES4, point the /var directory
> during install to one of the array devices in disk druid, and after
> the install completes, /var/ will not mount during bootup and all sorts
> of errors stream off the screen.  I can reproduce the problem
> with several systems in our labs and upon investigating the adapter
> revisions, I find that adapters ordered in the past 60 days exhibit
> the problem.   Compiling the driver in kernel gets around the problem,
> indicating its timing related.

cc's added.