Re: 2.6.19-rc1, timebomb?

On Saturday 21 October 2006 01:03, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 12:37:56AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I guess I'm 'waiting for the other shoe to drop' Until that time,
>> everything seems normal.  But I did just note that 'fam' is using up
>> to 99.3% of the cpu, which is unusual considering that amanda is
>> also running, and its usually gtar thats the hog.  This is according
>> to htop.
>
>I've had a few spontaneous restarts (which actually might have been
>shutdowns, any key press will make the machine up so a power down when
>working would probably look like a restart).
>
>I've assumed these were heat related, mostly because they also
>occurred when the CPU was working hard and the weather has been pretty
>warm lately.

These may be related.  But I'm not convinced weather has anything to do
with it.  The cpu is running about 120F, and is busier by quite a few
processes than it was when the last failure occured.

The 'fam' that was using 99.3% of the cpu, and which disappeared when I
sent it a SIGHUP, has not returned, and amanda has completed her nightly
chores without any hiccups.  It was not started as a service and is unk to
getting a status report from it.  So I'm wondering just where it fits in
the grand scheme of things?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)