Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.4.3

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Petr Baudis wrote:

> > That said, "LESS=FRS" doesn't really help that much. It still clears the
> > screen. Using "LESS=FRSX" fixes that, but the alternate display sequence
> > is actually nice _if_ the pager is used.
>
> Hmm, what terminal emulator do you use? The reasonable ones should
> restore the original screen. At least xterm does, and I *think*
> gnome-terminal does too (although I'm too lazy to boot up my notebook
> and confirm).

Not xterm, at least.

Not gnome-terminal either, for that matter.

I just tried.

	LESS=FRS git diff

clears the screen and leaves the thing at the end.

	LESS=FRSX git diff

works fine, but for people who _like_ the alternate screens (and I do,
once I really use a pager) it also disables the alternate screen.

It might depend on the termcap, of course. I'm running FC5.

		Linus