Re: Linux ISO-9660 Rock Ridge bug needs fix

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Bodo Eggert <[email protected]> wrote:

> > [...]
> > > This is something you cannot check.
> >
> > Exactly that's why I'd ignore the on-disk "inode number" and instead use
> > the generated one untill someone comes along with a clever idea to fix
> > the issue or can show that it's mostly hermless.
>
> I could understand you in case that Linux would do some basic consistency checks
> in the iso-9660 code already.....

ISO9660-over-NFS is no big usecase, linked files on CD aren't common and
the current code just won't benefit from hardlinks. Therefore I don't see
a compelling reason to use this feature without first thinking about
possible attacks.

Even if there are more holes to be plugged, punching even more holes
doesn't help. Instead, we should hope that someone finds the time to
plug these holes and praise him when he comes.

> Show me another program besides mkisofs that implements inode numbers _and_ does
> it wrong.

My hacked mkisofs, which I'll use to r00t you all and gain world domination.
--
"Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you."
-Your Buddies