sysctl

In the wireless-extensions thread, Linus writes:

In general, the answer to "when can we break user space" is very simple.

Never.

It's just not acceptable. We maintain old interfaces for years (and in
some cases, well over a decade by now), simply because the pain from not
doing so is horrendous, and it makes debugging impossible. You get into
situations where users need to upgrade to tools that don't work with older
kernels, and can thus not downgrade, etc etc.

I guess the sysctl question has been answered then,
especially since random normal apps use sysctl.

If it needs a maintainer, put me down.

I think the main problem was fixed long ago,
by assigning fixed numbers to the enum values.
Practically no other kernel code uses an enum
for an ABI, and I think we can see why.