Re: Linux ISO-9660 Rock Ridge bug needs fix

James Lamanna <[email protected]> wrote:

> Joerg Shilling wrote:

> > > Well a simple mkisofs some_file > test.iso and mounting that on a loop
> > > device
> > > worked fine.

> > > Well I don't know whats the original implementation bug and rock.c seems to
> > > be
> > > pretty much old with no active maintainer.
> >
> > Please read again my original mail....
> > 1) you need to create images with Rock Ridge
> >
> > 2) a correct implementation is prepared to deal with more recent versions
> >     without a need for new changes.
> >
> >     So, if the implementation does not deal with the new version _without_
> >     explicitely knowing about v1.12 it is still broken.
>
> Hi Joerg,
>
> I am unable to duplicate this bug that supposedly exists even on older
> kernels.
> For instance, on a 2.6.16 kernel I do the following:

Mm, I did not test, I did only check the source and it seems that I did
interpret the check

        len += offsetof(struct rock_ridge, u);
        if (len > rs->len) {
                printk(KERN_NOTICE "rock: directory entry would overflow "
                                "storage\n");
                printk(KERN_NOTICE "rock: sig=0x%02x, size=%d, remaining=%d\n",
                                sig, len, rs->len);
                return -EIO;
	}

the wrong way.... because the error text is wrong. It should be corrected into

"rock: directory entry would _underflow_ storage\n"

Using the inode field from RRip 1.12 is definitely not trivial as it may affect
many parts of the source and needs intensive testing.

Jörg

--
 EMail:[email protected] (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       [email protected]                (uni)