Re: [RFC] typechecking for get_unaligned/put_unaligned

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Al Viro wrote:

> Hrm...  I'm not sure that I buy that argument - we have relatively few
> callers of these suckers and I doubt that it will affect compile time
> in a measurable way.

I was more worried that it's getting included from other include files,
and that the overhead is just the compiler front-end, whether used or not.

But you're right, it seems like this is one of the well-behaved header
files that isn't unnecessarily included everywhere ;)

So I have no real arguments in that case.

> FWIW, that reminds me - I ought to resurrect the patchset killing bogus
> dependencies; I modified sparse to collect stats on how many times each
> #include actually pulls a header during build, added those to data on
> dependencies (from .cmd.*) and got interesting results.

Yeah, we tend to include a _ton_ of stuff that we probably don't need to.

		Linus