Re: [Patch 3/3] Driver core: Per-subsystem multithreaded probing.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Cornelia Huck wrote:

> > So the question is what do do if someone calls device_register() or
> > device_add() with dev->driver set.  If everything succeeds except for
> > creation of the symlinks, should the device remain registered?  The driver
> > core has been vacillating about this recently.  I'm not sure what the
> > right answer is.
>
> If dev->driver has not been set and symlink creation failed, we'll end
> up with an unbound but registered device. Maybe the same should happen
> if dev->driver had been set before (register the device but reset
> dev->driver to NULL)?

That _seems_ reasonable.  But what do subsystem drivers expect?  They
might assume that the binding succeeded whenever the registration
succeeded.  Although it may not make any real difference in the end.

And of course, we always have the excuse that up until a week ago, failure
to create the symlinks would not cause device registration to fail...

Alan Stern