VCD not readable under 2.6.18

Hello all,
I'm unable to use particular video cd under self-compiled kernel
2.6.18. Reading first 8 megabytes goes well, and then - bulk of errors
and nothing. The same cd works perfectly under windows xp sp2 on the
same machine - system can mount it, read its contents and play it.

BUGGIE MONSTER WARNING: This optical drive is somehow.... special :D
Have you ever erased dvd-r or dvd+r medium? Well, now I have done it
too.... First, I put a dvd recorded half a year ago. It worked fine.
Once. Second time, the system was just unable to read anything from
the cd. I tried it on another machine - winxp said the dvd is empty,
but was unable to record anything there of course. Then, after some
study, I discovered each sector of the disc can be read one time, max.
two times - after this its contents is lost. What is interesting
hovewer, it does not actually happen all the time - sometimes
everything works just perfect, sometimes dvd is destroyed. Especially
when recording a dvd (what works always fine) I try to read it it gets
'erased' - nothing such was observed on windows, but I can't tell it
does not happen ever - just haven't investigated.

This cd is however bought, so I suspect it is not recorded - system
fails tests on the original, and on its copy (which has been
successfully made on another machine with nero). The symptomes are
always the same. However, on windows it just works fine.

The machine is AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1GB RAM. The magic drive is LG
GSA-H20L (it's IDE). I've upgraded the firmware from 1.00 to 1.01,
because I thought it could help - it didn't.

Attachments - .config and two dmesgs. The first is what happens when I
try to use xine - first seconds (8mbytes) works fine, and then this
(note - the kernel was tainted then by ati's fglrx driver - that's why
i've done the second test). The second test is done without xwindows
(kernel is not tained though) - i've tried dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null
- that's how i now the first 8 megs work fine. It includes the startup
messages too. You can see I have reloaded cdrom driver with debug=1
there, hoping it will expose some usefull info - it seems it didn't
however.

I will be gratefull for your responses - especially to the vcd case,
because it is very repetitive (note - the problem is with this
particular vcd - i have other that works fine). The dvd mysterious is
I think too mysterious to investigate it without some..... ide packet
dump?

--
wixor