Re: Hardware bug or kernel bug?

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 05:24:39PM +0100, David Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 13 October 2006 14:06, Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> >
> > Probably - but only with networking. So I'd try with this debugging
> > like in my first reply plus maybe 2.6.19-rc1 (e1000 - btw. I hope
> > this other tested card was different model - and locking improved)
> > and resend conclusions to [email protected].
> >

> OK I built a 2.6.19-rc1 kernel with a minimal config as you describe and I
> cannot reproduce the reboots with this kernel. My .config:
> http://www.david-web.co.uk/download/config

I've seen more minimal minimal configs but if it works
it is 50% of success.

> The other NIC I tried was a D-Link DL10050-based card which I think uses the
> dl2k module.
>
> I tried to reproduce the problem under Windows (2k), which didn't reboot but
> did still suffer from it I believe. Randomly during an scp transfer (using
> the PuTTY scp client) Windows will lock-up for about 30 seconds, making an
> entry in the event log indicating that there was a time-out talking to the
> IDE controller, then continuing. Could the same thing be happening in Linux?
> If Linux can't talk to the IDE controller when trying to write to disk, how
> does it handle that?

Was this lock-up effect visible during above 2.6.19-rc1 tests?
If not I'd try to continue linux debbuging:
- is 2.6.19-rc1 working with "normal" config (use make oldconfig
to "upgrade" .config),
- is 2.6.17 working with "minimal" config (use make oldconfig),
- changing one or two options at a time try to find which one makes
the effect returns (acpi, smp...).

Regards,
Jarek P.

PS: Sorry for late reply - I was offline.