Re: BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0! in sys_close and ext3

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:56:40 +0200
"Dennis J.A. Bijwaard" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I got two soft lockups on one of the CPUs just now. I'm unsure if this
> problem is in ext3, sys_close, or general kernel, so I've CC'd the
> kernel list.
>
> [1.] One line summary of the problem:
>
> BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0! in sys_close/fput and ext3 journaling

Both warnings occurred when the kernel was tearing down large amounts of
pagecache via invalidate_inode_pages().  One instances was a blockdev
(probably the final close on the dvd) and the other was a regular file
(perhaps a large dvd image?)

The CPU is slow: 500MHz pIII.  How much memory does it have?

So the kernel was doing a lot of work, on a slow CPU.  Perhaps that simply
exceeded the softlockup timeout.  If that's true then the machine should
have recovered.  Once it did, and once it didn't.  I don't know why it
didn't.