Re: [linux-pm] Bug in PCI core

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 12:34:20PM -0400, Adam Belay wrote:
> I agree this needs to be fixed.  However, as I previously mentioned,
> this isn't the right place to attack the problem.  Remember, this wasn't
> originally a kernel regression.  Rather it's a workaround for a known
> X/lspci/whatever bug.  It's not the kernel's job to babysit userspace.
> If a userspace app that has the proper permissions decides to take a
> course of action that could potentially crash the system, then it has a
> right to do so.  There are probably dozens of vectors for these sorts of
> problems (e.g. mmap as Arjan has mentioned) so why stop at the pci
> config sysfs interface?

The patch I posted (to deny user access while the device is
transitioning D-states) is to fix a bug where *any* local user can bring
the system into undefined territory, simply by typing lspci at the right
moment.  No special permission is needed.

I hadn't realised that pci_block_user_cfg_access() would call
pci_save_state().  There's only one other user of pci_block_user_cfg_access()
-- drivers/scsi/ipr.c and I think it could be induced to call
pci_save_state() itself.  It's an odd asymmetry anyway -- block calls
save state, but unblock doesn't call restore_state.