Re: + convert-cpu-hotplug-notifiers-to-use-raw_notifier-instead-of-blocking_notifier.patch added to -mm tree

Hi,

[email protected] wrote:
> The patch titled
>
>      Convert cpu hotplug notifiers to use raw_notifier instead of blocking_notifier
>
> has been added to the -mm tree.  Its filename is
>
>      convert-cpu-hotplug-notifiers-to-use-raw_notifier-instead-of-blocking_notifier.patch
>
> See http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/added-to-mm.txt to find
> out what to do about this

> Subject: Convert cpu hotplug notifiers to use raw_notifier instead of blocking_notifier
> From: Neil Brown <[email protected]>
>
> The use of blocking notifier by _cpu_up and _cpu_down in cpu.c has two
> problem.
>
> 1/ An interaction with the workqueue notifier causes lockdep to spit a
>    warning.
>
> 2/ A notifier could conceivable be added or removed while _cpu_up or
>    _cpu_down are in process.  As each notifier is called twice (prepare
>    then commit/abort) this could be unhealthy.
>
> To fix to we simply take cpu_add_remove_lock while adding or removing
> notifiers to/from the list.
>
> This makes the 'blocking' usage unnecessary as all accesses to cpu_chain
> are now protected by cpu_add_remove_lock.  So change "blocking" to "raw" in
> all relevant places.  This fixes 1.

There is something really wrong with this patch (or my hardware).

echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk; echo disk > /sys/power/state
works fine for me on 2.6.19-rc1-g8770c018.

On 2.6.19-rc1-mm1 +
convert-cpu-hotplug-notifiers-to-use-raw_notifier-instead-of-blocking_notifier.patch
+ Neil's avoid_lockdep_warning_in_md.patch
(http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0610.1/0642.html)
I get a lot of "end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 31834343" messages.

I checked sda with badblocks and everything seems to be fine
/sbin/badblocks -o /root/sda.badblocks -v /dev/sda
Sprawdzanie bloków od 0 do 156290904
Poszukiwanie wadliwych bloków (tylko odczyt): done
Przebieg zakończony, znaleziono 0 wadliwych bloków.
(/root/sda.badblocks is empty)

BTW. sda is a new Seagate SATA II HDD atached to ICH5 (SATA I) controller.

Regards,
Michal

--
Michal K. K. Piotrowski