From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Lukas Hejtmanek
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 3:53 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Machine reboot

Hello,

I'm facing troubles with machine restart. While sysrq-b restarts machine, reboot command does not. Using printk I found that kernel does not hang and issues reset properly but BIOS does not initiate boot sequence. Is there something
I could do?
  I have similar issue on Intel DG965WH board. Did you try to shutdown network interface and
'rmmod e1000' right before reboot ? In my case machine reboots fine after that.

Aleks.

interesting, do you do that because it specifically fixes a problem you have? if so, I'd like to know about it :)

Auke

I'm just trying to localize the issue. Since right before machine stalls during reboot I see something like

ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 000:00:19.0 disabled
Restarting system.

that's quite a normal message, not sure why that would constitute a problem.

and this device is Gb ethernet, e1000 is perfect candidate to look at. And yes, removing e1000
before reboot works around the issue.

Have you tried to only `ifconfig ethX down` ? my own i965 board shuts down perfectly fine without unloading the e1000 driver.

I'm afraid this is now common issue across Intel 965 board series, at least with their latest BIOS
updates.

first time I've heard of it!

I'm unsure my BIOS version will be the same as it's a devel system for our drivers, but still I have never heard of anyone requiring the full unload of the NIC driver to be able to shutdown.

Would you be able to debug a failed shutdown perhaps and capture the console output? when exactly does it `stall` ? What other interrupts are assigned on your system? Did other BIOS versions work correctly?

Auke