Re: [patch 03/19] SUNRPC: avoid choosing an IPMI port for RPC traffic

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 02:12 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Mer, 2006-10-11 am 19:45 -0400, ysgrifennodd Trond Myklebust:
> > Feel free to tell the board manufacturers that they are idiots, and
> > should not design boards that hijack specific ports without providing
> > the O/S with any means of detecting this, but in the meantime, it _is_
> > the case that they are doing this.
>
> Then their hardware is faulty and should be specifically blacklisted not
> make everyone have to deal with silly unmaintainable hacks.

They are not hacks. The actual range of ports used by the RPC client is
set using /proc/sys/sunrpc/(min|max)_resvport. People that don't have
broken motherboards can override the default range, which is all that we
are changing here.

To be fair, the motherboard manufacturers have actually registered these
ports with IANA:

asf-rmcp        623/tcp    ASF Remote Management and Control Protocol
asf-rmcp        623/udp    ASF Remote Management and Control Protocol

asf-secure-rmcp 664/tcp    ASF Secure Remote Management and Control Protocol
asf-secure-rmcp 664/udp    ASF Secure Remote Management and Control Protocol

but the problem remains that we have no way to actually detect a
motherboard that uses those ports.

Interestingly, Linux is not the only OS that has been hit by this
problem:

  http://blogs.sun.com/shepler/entry/port_623_or_the_mount

Cheers,
  Trond