Re: [SOT] GIT usage question

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:54:50PM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> For quite some time I'm trying to understand if it's possible
> to extract changes from some subsystem's GIT tree compared to
> some version of linux kernel.
>
> For example, let's say I want to see if my SATA controller will
> work with current libata, but without all the pain of trying
> current 2.6.19-pre/rc instabilities.  Libata changes are quite
> local for the subsystem, so in theory, or at least how I see
> it, that should be possible.
>
> So I have 3 remote branches in my local GIT tree:
>
>  o origin which points to Linus's 2.6.19-pre
>  o libata, which is current libata tree
>  o 2.6.18 release -- the kernel I'm running right now.
>
> I want to get changes *for libata subsystem* in origin or
> libata (libata is just changes which are on the way to Linus,
> and current difference is very minor), to apply against 2.6.18.
> Ie, in short, changes which went to origin *from* libata.
>
> Is it possible?

If I understand what you want to do, you just have to do this :

$ git-checkout 2.6.18
$ git-pull . libata

This will merge in 2.6.18 everything that's in libata. If you
want to check before what will be merged :

$ git-log 2.6.18..libata
or :
$ git-diff 2.6.18..libata

or also to review the patches one at a time :

$ git-format-patch -k -m 2.6.18..libata

then read all the files.

Hoping it helps
willy