Re: Dropping NETIF_F_SG since no checksum feature.

Quoting r. Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]>:

> > > Yes, in the current implementation, Linux needs checksum offload. But
> > > there is no reason, your driver can't compute the checksum in software.
> > >
> > I'm worried whether an extra pass over data won't eat up all of
> > the performance gains I get from the large MTU ...
>
> Yup, the cost is in touching the data, not in the copy.

Maybe I can patch linux to allow SG without checksum?
Dave, maybe you could drop a hint or two on whether this is worthwhile
and what are the issues that need addressing to make this work?

I imagine it's not just the matter of changing net/core/dev.c :).

--
MST