Re: 2.6.19-rc1-mm1

On 10/10/06, Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 07:31:23 +0000
"Miguel Ojeda" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 10/10/06, Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > +# drivers-add-lcd-support.patch: Pavel says use fbcon
> > +drivers-add-lcd-support.patch
> > +drivers-add-lcd-support-update.patch
> >

> Has the # a special meaning?

It's a comment separator ;)

Ouch. Right.

> I'm going to work on offering the fbcon feature as Pavel requested.

Thanks.  It does sound like making the thing an fbdev is the right way to go.

Yep, such way will let us to run a xgl server through some ascii video
lib and display it on the 128x64 LCD fb device ;)

> suggested 2 ways.
>
> Pavel's idea: Change the driver so the cfag12864b module will be just
> a framebuffer device, removing access through /dev/cfag12864b.
>
> My idea: Code a new module called "fbcfag12864b", which will depend on
> cfag12864b and will be the framebuffer device. This way we have both
> devices, and they doesn't affect each other as they are different
> things. So the ks0108 and cfag12864b can stay without any changes.
> Also, if we finally decide we don't want the raw cfag12864b module, it
> is easy to remove it from the cfag12864b and the fbcafg12864b will
> continue working.
>
> Is there anyone who can decide which idea is better? If not, I will
> code it my way. Also, if the Pavel's idea will be the chosen one, it
> will be easier to put the fbcfag12864b code into the cfag12864b rather
> than the opposite.

I'd have thought that once the device is accessible as an fbdev, there's so
much other software and kernel infrastructure to support that, there's
little point in offering an alternative way of presenting the device to
userspace.

Allright, I will code it as the fbcfag12864b module, and when it will
be working fine, I will remove the raw device of the cfag12864b and if
the code of fbcfag12864b results really small/trivial, I will put it
in the cfag12864b module. Then I will send you the "update patch 2".

Give me a couple of days or so :)

Thanks you,
    Miguel Ojeda