Re: Compiling dependent module

Hello sam, thanks for replying,

I have another doubt in the same,
generally when we compile any external kernel module which uses some
kernel symbol, there we don't see any such warnings even though we are
compiling our module separately?  So compiling a dependent module
separately is similar to compiling a external kernel module.
Why such warninigs are being observed here in dependent module while compiling?

On 10/7/06, Sam Ravnborg <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 05:42:47PM +0530, Devesh Sharma wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a situation where, I have one parent module in ../hello/
> directory which exports one symbol (g_my_export). I have a dependent
> module in ../hello1/ directory. Both have it's own makefiles.
> Compiling of parent module (hello.ko) is fine, but during compilation
> of dependent module (hello1.ko) I see a warning that g_my_export is
> undefined.
>
> On the other hand when I do depmod -a and modprobe, dependent module
> inserts successfully in kernel.
>
> I want to remove compile time warning. What should I do?

Compile both module in same go.
See Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt for a description.

In short create a kbuild file that points to both modules
so kbuild knows about both modules when it builds them.

        Sam