Re: Funky "Blue screen" issue while rebooting from X with 2.6.18-git21

On 08/10/06, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi!

> >> Pavel, is this a known issue or should Jesper bisect?
> >
> >Jesper should show it is kernel problem and not userland race.
> >

> Jesper will try to do that ;-)
>

> >If userspace does kill -15 -1; kill -9 -1, and X fails to shut down in
> >time, it is userland problem ('should wait for X to shut down').
> >

> Well, I just checked my initscript that is run when going into
> runlevels 0 & 6, and it does this :
>
> (...)
>
> # Kill all processes.
> # INIT is supposed to handle this entirely now, but this didn't always
> # work correctly without this second pass at killing off the processes.
> # Since INIT already notified the user that processes were being killed,
> # we'll avoid echoing this info this time around.
> if [ ! "$1" = "fast" ]; then # shutdown did not already kill all processes
>  /sbin/killall5 -15
>  /bin/sleep 5
>  /sbin/killall5 -9
> fi

...so, if X takes more than five seconds to shut down, you kill it
with -9, resulting in blue screen. Too bad, and not an kernel problem.

Try inserting something like

        while ps -aux | grep myXserver;
                sleep 1;
        done

alternatively, remove/shorten the sleep and you should experience blue
screen in 2.6.17.

I'll try and test these things and report back in a few days when I've
gathered some data.

> kernels, but since somewhere in the 2.6.18-rc series I've experienced
> this "blue screen" problem once in a while and I've also had a problem
> with the screen going all white when switching from X to a plain tty
> and back (once it goes white it stays that way permanently until I
> reboot) - I *never* see those issues when running 2.6.17.x and
> earlier.

Maybe something got slower in 2.6.18?
                                                                Pavel

Perhaps...