Re: sky2 (was Re: 2.6.18-mm2)

Hello Stephen,

Am Dienstag, den 03.10.2006, 20:26 -0700 schrieb Stephen Hemminger:

[...]

> > while the above patch indeed removes the error messages from my previous
> > mail, I have since seen random but reproduceable  freezes of the box in
> > question. I believe they are sky2 related since the freeze can be
> > triggered by continuous network traffic (like playing a movie over NFS
> > etc.).
>
> When it fixes what does the log say. I'm probably going to back out
> the PCI express extended error using the pci_XXX functions.

> > The freezes only happen with 2.6.18-mm2 and 2.6.18-mm3. 2.6.18-mm1 works
> > perfectly fine.
> > I've hooked up the box to my laptop via a serial cable and captured all
> > kernel messages from booting up the machine to the freeze. You'll note
> > that the last messages are from the sky2 driver ;)
> >

> Does it still happen with linus git tree. If so, a git bisect might
> help. It might not be sky2 related at all, there has been lots of changes.

I am doing a bisect right now which is kind of a PITA as the freeze is
completely random.
I have since noticed that the freeze happens shortly after the network
dies, possibly during the "rrmod sky2 / moprobe sky2" my script is
doing.

> > Once frozen the network is dead, the screen won't wake up from suspend
> > and CAPSLOCK can not be toggled. SYSRQ (sp?) still works tho.
> >
> > Any help in debugging this problem would be appreciated =)
>
> The TX timeout is a symptom of a common bug still not fixed where
> the transmitter stops. I'm working on reproducing it on my hardware and switches,
> because without a reproducible test, its just shooting in the dark and
> that isn't working.

I'd be happy to assist with that as I have his bug up to 5 times a day :
\
--
Matthias 'CoreDump' Hentges

Webmaster of hentges.net and OpenZaurus developer.
You can reach me in #openzaurus on Freenode.

My OS: Debian SID. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice