Re: Merge window closed: v2.6.19-rc1

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

Ok, it's two weeks since v2.6.18, and as a result I've cut a -rc1 release.

As usual for -rc1 with a lot of pending merges, it's a huge thing with
tons of changes, and in fact since 2.6.18 took longer than normal due to
me traveling (and others probably also being on vacations), it's possibly
even larger than usual.

I think we got updates to pretty much all of the active architectures,
we've got VM changes (dirty shared page tracking, for example), we've got
networking, drivers, you name it. Even the shortlog and the diffstats are
too big to make the kernel mailing list, but even just the summary says
something:

4998 total commits
6535 files changed, 414890 insertions(+), 233881 deletions(-)

so please give it a good testing, and let's see if there are any
regressions.

In dmesg:
warning: process `sleep' used the removed sysctl system call
warning: process `alsactl' used the removed sysctl system call
warning: process `nscd' used the removed sysctl system call
warning: process `tail' used the removed sysctl system call

ver_linux says:
 /~ $ ./src/kernel/linux-2.6.19-rc1/scripts/ver_linux
If some fields are empty or look unusual you may have an old version.
Compare to the current minimal requirements in Documentation/Changes.

Linux grinch 2.6.19-rc1 #1 PREEMPT Thu Oct 5 22:53:57 EEST 2006 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Gnu C                  3.3.4
Gnu make               3.80
binutils               2.15.92.0.2
util-linux             2.12p
mount                  2.12p
module-init-tools      3.1
e2fsprogs              1.35
jfsutils               1.1.11
reiserfsprogs          3.6.18
xfsprogs               2.6.13
quota-tools            3.12.
nfs-utils              1.0.7
Linux C Library        2.3.4
Dynamic linker (ldd)   2.3.4
Linux C++ Library      5.0.6
Procps                 3.2.5
Net-tools              1.60
Kbd                    1.12
Sh-utils               5.2.1

 /~ $ /usr/sbin/alsactl -v
alsactl version 1.0.10

In Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt it says:

---------------------------

What:   sys_sysctl
When:   January 2007
Why: The same information is available through /proc/sys and that is the
        interface user space prefers to use. And there do not appear to be
        any existing user in user space of sys_sysctl.  The additional
        maintenance overhead of keeping a set of binary names gets
        in the way of doing a good job of maintaining this interface.

Who:    Eric Biederman <[email protected]>

I can upgrade my userspace (Slackware 10.1) if necessary ;)

Bye
Calin

--

"frate, trezeste-te, aici nu-i razboiul stelelor"
				Radu R. pe offtopic at lug.ro