Re: how to get the kernel to be more "verbose"?

Hi Witold,

(I readded [email protected] to the Cc:.)

Witold W?adys?aw Wojciech Wilk wrote:
> 2006/10/6, Uwe Zeisberger <[email protected]>:
> >Witold W?adys?aw Wojciech Wilk wrote:
> >> I've tried using the /proc/config.gz provided by the default kernel,
> >> but to no avail.
> >Does this mean, you cannot find the config because /proc/config.gz
> >doesn't exist?  Then try /boot/config-2.6.8.  Maybe I misunderstood you?
>
> No, I've used the config I had in the 2.6.8 (in proc/config.gz), but
> the SAME kernel 2.6.8 source compiled incorrectly. So I think this
> might be some glitch on my machine... because it is im possible to
> make a kernel that is always getting stuck in the same place.
Did you notice that Debian kernels are not vanilla but patched?

You can get the patches from http://packages.debian.org/

> >> Any help? Please point me at something, I am trying for two weeks
> >> already, and I cannot find any problems like mine. Thanks a lot for
> >> any help.
> >You can try the "initcall_debug" kernel parameter to see which init
> >functions are called.
>
> I will use that then. I am quite new to debugging the kernel... My
> programming knowledge is still quite low ;) But I will try that today
> after work... I will write more. I need to get the Wi-Fi working ASAP.
Another thing that could help you is SysRQ, there is a request that
prints out a stack dump.

Best regards
Uwe

--