Re: [linux-usb-devel] error to be returned while suspended

Am Freitag, 6. Oktober 2006 04:47 schrieb David Brownell:
> On Thursday 05 October 2006 2:25 pm, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>
> > - the issues of manual & automatic suspend and remote wakeup are orthogonal
> > - there should be a common API for all devices
>
> AFAIK there is no demonstrated need for an API to suspend
> individual devices.  Of course there's the question of who
> would _use_ such a thing (some unspecified component, worth
> designing one first), but drivers can use internal runtime
> suspend mechanisms to be in low power modes and hide that
> fact from the rest of the system.  That is, activate on
> demand, suspend when idle.

I doubt that a lot. Eg. Again, if I close the lid I may want my USB
network cards be suspended or not and that decision might change several
times a day. It's a policy decision in many cases. And I'd not be happy
with being required to down the interfaces to do so. Suspension should
be as transparent as possible.

	Regards
		Oliver