Re: [discuss] Re: Please pull x86-64 bug fixes

Andi Kleen wrote:
On Thursday 05 October 2006 19:17, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Does this fix the following issue:

PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.

100% of my x86-64 boxes, AMD or Intel, print this message. And 100% of them work just fine with MMCONFIG.

No.
But it isn't really a issue. Basically everything[1] will work fine anyways.

[1]  Only thing you're missing AFAIK is PCI Extended Error Reporting.

Not really true, I have some cards which have >256 bytes of config space.

I think this rule is far too drastic for real life.

If you have a better proposal please share. I tried a few others, but none
of them could handle all the buggy Intel 9x5 boards that hang on any
mmconfig access (so the "try the first few busses" check already hangs)

Originally I thought
DMI blacklisting would work, but it's on too many systems for that
(and Linus rightfully hated it anyways). ACPI checks also didn't work.
I don't know of any others.

It's a bit disappointing, since I keep getting brand new boxes with brand new BIOSen, but keep hitting this rule.

AFAICS it's a buggy check, since it continues to needlessly blacklist working boxes.

My proposal is quite simple: "something that works" -- the current solution obviously does not.

	Jeff