Re: Must check what?

Vadim Lobanov wrote:
On Wednesday 04 October 2006 12:43, Andrew Morton wrote:
I like assertions personally.  If we had something like:

void foo(args)
{
	locals;

	assert_irqs_enabled();
	assert_spin_locked(some_lock);
	assert_in_atomic();
	assert_mutex_locked(some_mutex);

then we get documentation which is (optionally) checked at runtime - best
of both worlds.  Better than doing it in kernel-doc.  Automatically
self-updating (otherwise kernels go BUG).

Uhoh! How much is that going to hurt runtime? :) It actually seems to me like this should be doable by static code analysis tools without terribly much pain (in the relative sense of the term). Or am I wrong on this thought?
Surely, any debugging that hurts will only really be there
if you enable CONFIG_DEBUG_something

The kind of stuff you ask people to turn on when they report
strange crashes.

Helge Hafting