Re: to many sockets ?

Eric Dumazet schrieb:
On Thursday 05 October 2006 10:20, Markus Wenke wrote:
Eric Dumazet schrieb:

Could you post here the result of these commands when your system is
using more than 100.000 connections (and before the OOM :) )
Hi,

here the results with 130001 connetions

cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      3108372 kB
MemFree:       2114404 kB
Buffers:          5112 kB
Cached:          97804 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         140552 kB
Inactive:        38948 kB
HighTotal:     2228160 kB
HighFree:      2048108 kB
LowTotal:       880212 kB
LowFree:         66296 kB

See here ? you have 'only' 880212 kB of LOWMEM, and 66 MB free.
all kernel structures (you can see them in /proc/slabinfo) are lying on this zone, no matter you add RAM on your machine (more RAM end up in HighMEM zone, wich is basically unused on your setup)

Since you have a 64bits CPU, your best move would be to use a 64bits kernel (you can keep all user land in 32bits mode)

With a 64bits kernel, kernel land structures would not be constrained in a small area, but can use full RAM.

I think I change to the 64 Bit-Kernel ;-).

btw: with the Xen-patched Kernel I get this at 130000 connections:

MemTotal:      2979840 kB
MemFree:       2394544 kB
Buffers:          5748 kB
Cached:         104492 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         146632 kB
Inactive:        43276 kB
HighTotal:     2136004 kB
HighFree:      1943728 kB
LowTotal:       843836 kB
LowFree:        450816 kB
SwapTotal:     2104472 kB
SwapFree:      2104472 kB
Dirty:             412 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:          89556 kB
Slab:           285284 kB
CommitLimit:   3594392 kB
Committed_AS:   205244 kB
PageTables:        756 kB
VmallocTotal:   114680 kB
VmallocUsed:      4576 kB
VmallocChunk:   109280 kB

I'm curious you have so many sockets but few entries in route cache... basically all connections come from few machines ?

My test scenario has only 5 clients, so I must make the connections with a few clients.

Thanks a lot

Markus Wenke