2.6.18 Hang in fb_notifier_call_chain while booting with nvidia framebuffer

My system hangs while booting when the nvidia frame buffer is enabled.

I've attached a zip with:

log-hang1.txt    -> log showing hang
cfg-hang1    -> config file for hang condition
cfg-ok        -> config file that works
fbmem.c        -> Modifications to register_framebuffer

To possibly assist, I turned on debugging in nvidia.c and found that it hung in the call to register_framebuffer. I then added some additional debug in that routine and it appears the hang occurs in the call to fb_notifier_call_chain.

Please let me know what else maybe needed.

Cheers,

Wink

(PS: I previously posted this by replying to a previous email
and that post got buried, so excuse the reposting)

(PSS: Sorry again, thunderbird still kept the "References" field when I told it to "Edit message as new")

My hardware is a Asus P5W DH Deluxe with Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 975X/ICH7R chip set & e-GeForce nvidia 7600 GT KO video card with 2GB of ram.

Other info when using config-ok:

wink@winkc2d1:~$ uname -a
Linux winkc2d1 2.6.18-w6 #7 SMP Wed Oct 4 09:13:10 PDT 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux
wink@winkc2d1:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2404.168
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4811.86
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2404.168
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 6934.66
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: