Re: removed sysctl system call - documentation and timeline

"Jesper Juhl" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> With recent kernels I'm getting a lot of warnings about programs using
> the removed sysctl syscal.
>
> Examples (after 5 min of uptime here) :
> root@dragon:/home/juhl# dmesg | grep "used the removed sysctl system
> call" | sort | uniq
> warning: process `dd' used the removed sysctl system call
> warning: process `ls' used the removed sysctl system call
> warning: process `touch' used the removed sysctl system call
>
> and more can be found...

They all only use a single sysctl (kernel/version). IMHO that
one should be just emulated and the rest -ENOSYSed. There used
to be a slightly buggy patch for that in tree.

I think that would give all the advantages (dropping of the
numerical name space) with 99+% backwards compatibility

-Andi