Re: wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> 	Sometime breaking userspace APIs is perfectly OK, while
> sometimes it's not. You just have to make sure that Linus does not
> hear about it, I guess ;-)

I see the smiley, and I think you're trying to be funny and clever, but
the thing is, I actually think that's _true_.

It's perfectly fine to break ABI's if nobody ever complains loudly enough
that other developers notice.

So yes, we could actually even make it a real hard rule:

   "Breaking ABI's is fine. As long as you can hide the breakage so well
    that nobody complains loudly enough that anybody ever notices".

The very fact that this turned into a discussion is a sign that the ABI
breakage wasn't handled well enough. Usually, when we do something, nobody
ever even notices.

(For an example of such a ABI breakage: I changed ptrace() to not allow
ptracing another thread in the same thread group about a year ago, because
it turned out that it was a serious local DoS problem. In the 12 months
since, I think we had two people who ever actually noticed, and both of
them actually caused some discussion about ways to perhaps unbreak it.)

			Linus