Re: [patch] remove MNT_NOEXEC check for PROT_EXEC mmaps

Hi.

Jesper Juhl wrote:
So first you mount /dev/shm with 'noexec', thereby telling the system
"please make shared memory non executable".
Well, what do I want to tell to the system when
mounting /dev/shm with "noexec" is a difficult
point to discuss. In my opinion (and it was so
for ages) I only tell it to not execute the
binaries from there. In your opinion I am saying
to make the shared memory not executable, but on
the other hand I am just mmaping some file, and
mmaping a file with PROT_EXEC never required an
exec perm for that file, so I wonder why "noexec"
is different here.
But as I said, this is a bit difficult to discuss,
so I was trying to avoid touching MAP_SHARED for now.
Please tell me how your logic applies to MAP_PRIVATE
instead, which is affected the same way. (considering
mprotect, MAP_ANONYMOUS then read(), "ro" not denying
PROT_WRITE, etc)