Re: Registration Weakness in Linux Kernel's Binary formats

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, SHELLCODE Security Research wrote:

Hello,
The present document aims to demonstrate a design weakness found in the
handling of simply
linked   lists   used   to   register   binary   formats   handled   by
Linux   kernel,   and   affects   all   the   kernel families
(2.0/2.2/2.4/2.6), allowing the insertion of infection modules in
kernel­ space that can be used by malicious users to create infection
tools, for example rootkits.

So the problem you find is that newly registered binfmts are inserted into the front of the binfmt list instead of the rear, and this means that a binfmt handler can slip in at runtime at run quietly before any other handler?

I'm not sure I see this as a real problem. If you can load a module into kernel space and access arbitrary symbols (not to mention run in ring 0) I think you can do a lot more than just hide out on the binfmt list.

Am I missing something?

POC, details and proposed solution at:
English version: http://www.shellcode.com.ar/docz/binfmt-en.pdf
Spanish version: http://www.shellcode.com.ar/docz/binfmt-es.pdf