Re: Spam, bogofilter, etc

Linus Torvalds <torvalds <at> osdl.org> writes:

<snip>
> I'm sorry, but spam-filtering is simply harder than the bayesian
> word-count weenies think it is. I even used to _know_ something about

Spam stopping is harder than anyone thinks it is. Spam is about consent, not
content, and we have no really reliable way yet of knowing consent (except a
pure whitelist).

> If you want a yes/no kind of thing, do it on real hard issues, like not
> accepting email from machines that aren't registered MX gateways. Sure,

Uhm, MX is for receiving mail, not sending it. Plenty of organisations have
different hosts for MX MTAs and outbound MTAs. I work in that field, so just a
warning note for anyone who wants to take Linus' advice.

Devdas Bhagat