Fwd: Any way to find the network usage by a process?

Hi,

Is there any method either kernel or user level which tells me which
process is generating how much traffic from a machine. For example if
some process is flooding the network, then I would like to know which
process (PID ideally), is generating the most traffic.

Some people told me to monitor ports and check through nmap which
process is using that port, but thats not a good approach as there is
nothing to restrict a process to use the same port for its lifetime,
it can close it and open another one etc..

I dont require it to do this remotely, it should be run on the same
machine as that originates the traffic
Any help will be highly appreciated

Regards
Irfan