Re: Maybe it's time to fork the GPL License - create the Linux license?

On Monday 02 October 2006 04:55, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Just a thought. Suppose we forked the GPL2 license and created the Linux
> license? (Or some better name) It's kind of clear the Stallman has his
> own ajenda and that it's not compatible with the Linux model. So - lets
> fork it an start a new one.
>
> The idea of the new license is as follows. It would be backwards
> compatible with GPL2. It's would eliminate the "or later" clause because
> we have already seen the potential for abuse there. How can one agree to
> future licenses without knowing what they are going to be? The other
> feature is that the license is only modified to provide legal
> clarification or to deal with future issues that occur as a result of
> new technology or circumstances that we don't know about yet. If the
> licenses is modified then copyright holders would then have to
> explicitly declare that they accept the modifications by switching to
> the new terms.

I'd be behind such a license if it was 100% functionally equivalent to the GPL
(ie, a reword just to get around the FSF Copyright of the GPL). I'd even
license my own code under it.

Linus, you want to chime in here?

--
Patrick McFarland || http://AdTerrasPerAspera.com
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,