Re: __STRICT_ANSI__ checks in headers

On Oct 01, 2006, at 00:53:43, Andrew Morton wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:30:25 +0300
Ismail Donmez <[email protected]> wrote:

28 Eyl 2006 Per 10:06 tarihinde, David Woodhouse şunları yazmıştı:
On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 10:03 +0300, Ismail Donmez wrote:
David, is this ok? It would be good to apply this for 2.6.19 so all of KDE would compile ( all of the parts I tested ) with kernel-headers.

Looks good to me.

Andrew, now that David gave his blessing , can you push this for 2.6.19?

Bisection shows that this patch causes these depmod warnings:

WARNING: "snd_card_disconnect" [sound/usb/usx2y/snd-usb-usx2y.ko] has no CRC!
[etc]

I don't know why that would happen.

From: Ismail Donmez <[email protected]>

__STRICT_ANSI__ usage in types.h header results in compile errors for some userspace packages[1] when used with gcc -ansi flag. With the suggestion of Kyle Moffett I replace strict ansi checks with __extension__ to tell gcc not to error or warn on gcc extensions. Compile tested on x86 with 2.6.18.

Best guess: Depmod does some kind of funny type-based expansion and hashing of the symbols which doesn't understand the "__extension__" keyword. Probably the simplest thing to do is to add "- D__extension__=" to the depmod preprocessing flags. Alternatively you could teach depmod to completely ignore the __extension__ keyword when it shows up in the sources, but the former seems like it would be much simpler.

Just thinking about it we probably also need to educate sparse about __extension__ too. Perhaps somebody could also add an sparse flag to make it warn about nonportable constructs in exported header files.

I'd submit a patch but my knowledge of kernel makefiles and depmod is somewhere between zero and none, exclusive.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett