Re: [patch 1/2] libata: _GTF support

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 11:29:01AM -0700, Kristen Carlson Accardi wrote:

I mentioned this to Randy a while back, but I can't remember what sort
of resolution we came to. In any case:

> + * sata_get_dev_handle - finds acpi_handle and PCI device.function

I'm a bit uncomfortable that we seem to have two quite different ways of
accomplishing much the same thing. On the PCI bus, we have a callback
that gets triggered whenever a new PCI device is attached. At that
point, we look for the associated ACPI object and put a pointer to that
in the device structure. Then, whenever we want to make an ACPI call, we
can simply refer to that.

This implementation seems to reimplement much of the same lookup code,
but makes it libata specific. Wouldn't it be cleaner to implement it in
a similar way to PCI? The only real downside is that you need to add a
callback in the ata bus code. drivers/pci/pci-acpi.c/pci_acpi_init is
the sort of thing required.

(Thinking ahead, would that make it easier to maintain links in sysfs
between devices and acpi objects?)

--
Matthew Garrett | [email protected]