Re: Creative Commons as an example of a simple license

    Hi Gene :)

 * Gene Heskett <[email protected]> dixit:
> On Thursday 28 September 2006 02:59, Esteban Barahona wrote:
> >apparently I "have lines longer than 80 characters" so I have to post
> > like this: http://www.zensui.org/CC/about_GPLv3.html
>
> [...] However, I wasn't aware that the Creative Commons License was
> a "pick-a-rule" license, where you could drasticly change the
> effect of the license and still call it the CCL.

    It's not exactly a "pick-a-rule" license. I'll try to explain
(but my explanation can be an utter nonsense, so read the licenses
yourself anyway). Just like GPL is "copyleft" and not a "copyright"
because you *grant* rights instead of taking them up, the CC licenses
may be seen as "some rights reserved" instead of "all rights
reserved". That is, you give something but reserver some rights, for
example, the right of attribution. If you reserve that right, derived
works have to carry your name in addition to the person who modified
your work. Or for example, you can give your work for free and
require that it is not used for commercial uses. You're reserving the
commercialization right for you.

    It's a very interesting license because it's like releasing your
work to public domain, but restricting what you may thing is misuse
of your work. I don't find any CC license appropriate for my
software, but I think it is a very interesting license for art,
books, etc. In fact, I find it much better than, for example, GFDL
for books, manuals and other documentation.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado