Re: [BUG] Oops on boot (probably ACPI related)

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 23:38, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:
> >
> > It doesn't matter much because these days this stuff is all out of lined
> > anyways and in a single function. And the dynamic branch predictor
> > in all modern CPUs will usually cache the decision (unlocked) there.
>
> Ahh, good point. Once there's only one copy, the branch predictor will get
> it right (and the code size won't much matter)

As a postscript I (unintentionally) bended the truth on that one actually
yesterday. Sorry for that. Semaphores are still inline, unlike spinlocks.

However if the spinlocks are out of line I see no reason to keep semaphores
inline either, so perhaps it would be better to just move them. Then my
argument above would actually work :)

For some reason the unwinder also still seems to get stuck on it :/

-Andi